Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What's It Like to Work at Pixar..? Victor Navone (Animator at Pixar)


I can't speak objectively, having only ever worked as an animator at Pixar, but I think it's pretty safe to say that it's the best place in the world for an animator to work. It's a very supportive, nurturing environment. We get to work on great movies that we're proud of, and we have lots of fun, even when we're working hard. There's a spirit of collaboration among the animators that I think is unique to Pixar.

There's a healthy sense of competition, and animators are always offering compliments and critiques on each others' work. Usually the best idea wins, no matter who came up with it, whether it's a note about story, or an acting idea. As for the culture, we've made a really fun place to work. You can take art classes at Pixar University, attend free screenings of current and classic films, and even participate in one of the many rock bands. At last count, I think there are something like 14 bars at Pixar; we work hard, and we play hard! I've never been bored with my job, and being surrounded by so many talented artists, I feel I always having something more to learn. I've been at Pixar for almost 10 years, and it can be easy to get complacent or find thing to complain about, but every once in a while I take a step back and remember just how lucky I am to work there, and I hope I always will!

No comments:

Post a Comment